At age six, Jan was miraculously revived after her body was retrieved from the frozen river that consumed her parents. Now, after a lifetime of experiencing visions of others’ pain and suffering, thirteen year old Jan hopes to intervene on fate and prevent a murder.
- NFFTY – Best Emerging Female Filmmaker Award, and a Prodigy Camp Scholarship
- ASK Film Festival – Best Editing
- CineYouth – Best Thriller
- Thurrock International Film Festival – Nominated for “Best Under 18″ award
- AAHSFF (New York City) October 23-27
- Woodstock Film Festival (Woodstock) October 15-19
- GIFF (Hagatna, Guam) September 23-28
- Thurrock International Film Festival– Thurrock, England, September 2014
- Josiah Media Festival– San Antonio, Texas, July 10-12 2014
- TIFF Next Wave Jump Cuts– Toronto ON, May 20 2014
- 21 Minus– Chicago IL, May 17 2014
- CineYouth – Chicago IL, May 8-10 2014
- The Lovett School, High School Film Fest– Atlanta GA, May 3 2014
- ASK Film Festival (Prishtina, Kosovo) April 29-30
- NFFTY (National Film Festival for Talented Youth)– Seattle WA, April 24-27 2014
Whereas conventional trailers use footage exclusively from the film, the trailer for GIFTS is a prologue — introducing the main character Jan and her struggle. The trailer provides a glimpse into Jan’s life, and includes footage not present in the film.
Because of recent festival activity, public access to GIFTS is temporarily suspended.
If you’d like to see it, please send a request for the password via the Contact page.
Morgana McKenzie – Bio
Morgana McKenzie is a 15 year old filmmaker living in Ottawa, Canada. A passionate artist even as a toddler, she developed her skills through weekly art lessons starting at age 4. Morgana’s visual arts experience naturally led her to filmmaking. In the past three years, Morgana created short films screened in Toronto, Calgary, and England. Morgana is also a disciplined athlete with junior black belts in both Karate and Kobudo. Morgana currently attends the Visual Arts program at Canterbury High School.
Blog post updates on GIFTS
- Festivals, Kurayami no Wa, and an Unnamed Music Video (Tuesday July 08th, 2014) -- Morgana is away (on her own) for the month of July, and this week she is attending Prodigy Camp outside of Seattle on a scholarship she won at NFFTY. So I (her dad) am tasked with keeping her website and social media engagement going until she returns. My first order of business? To round-up all the ... (Read more)
- May Festival Shenanigans (Sunday June 08th, 2014) -- Over the past month my life has been filled with hectic (but very enjoyable) film work and travelling. After my trip to NFFTY in April, I was very fortunate to be able to travel to two festivals: CineYouth in Chicago, and TIFF Next Wave Jump Cuts in Toronto. Here’s a brief rundown, with pictures, of ... (Read more)
- NFFTY 2014 Adventures (Monday May 05th, 2014) -- I had the huge privilege of having “GIFTS” be accepted into National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) this year. NFFTY is the largest international youth film festival in the world, based in Seattle, WA. It is a four day festival, filled with speed networking, panel sessions, film screenings, Q&A with filmmakers, and parties. It really ... (Read more)
- CBC Ottawa Morning Interview (Monday April 14th, 2014) -- This morning, I had the great pleasure of being interviewed by Hallie Cotnam on CBC Ottawa Morning radio about GIFTS and the upcoming NFFTY festival. It was a wonderful experience, and everyone was extremely nice, especially Jessa the producer. Before the interview, Hallie told me that she watched GIFTS earlier in the morning, and was ... (Read more)
- GIFTS Screening and Film Festival Update (Sunday March 09th, 2014) -- There has been A LOT of stuff going on with “GIFTS” lately, and I’ll start off with the friends and family screening we had a couple of weeks ago at the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum theatre. It was a huge success. Thank you to everyone who came and supported! It was really a blast seeing ... (Read more)
- GIFTS Trailer (Sunday January 26th, 2014) -- I am pleased to present the trailer for my short film GIFTS! As the film is very short (10 minutes), and because I wanted to introduce the main character Jan and her struggle, the trailer is actually a prologue. It provides a glimpse into Jan’s life and includes footage not present in the film. Here is ... (Read more)
- GIFTS Update and Fav Film Friday (Sunday January 05th, 2014) -- I hope everyone had a great holiday break, and the new year is going well so far. My “Fav Film Friday” series took a break over the holidays so I could spend time with family and finish my latest short film, GIFTS. But no fear! Fav Film Friday will be back up and running this ... (Read more)
- Another GIFTS Shoot Tomorrow (Saturday September 28th, 2013) -- Tomorrow is the last on-location shoot for my new short film GIFTS. It’s going to be a fun day, but it will also be a very challenging day because tomorrow we have to shoot the most complex scene of the entire film. Last Sunday we had a very long shoot schedule that started at 8am and went ... (Read more)
- GIFTS Has Begun (Wednesday July 31st, 2013) -- Pre-production for my newest short film “GIFTS” started immediately after school was over. I had several very distinct scenes in my head that I wanted to use in the movie. From that I developed some more visuals and concepts, and eventually, with the help of my co-writer (my Dad!), that became a screenplay. Then I started ... (Read more)
More about GIFTS